Translate

Sunday 29 January 2017

Being A Surgeon

"A Good Laugh And A Long Sleep Are The Best Curses In The Doctor's Book"
I have seen many people around me who like to join medical profession and among them many choose their career as a Surgeon.
During the tenure of my basic medical education, I & one of my colleague got an opportunity to perform a surgical procedure our self (not alone- we were guided by our teacher/ assistant professor). A day before surgery, me & my colleague took up the necessary history, performed the examination & prepared the patient for surgery scheduled next day. On the next day we both were at hospital on time. We prepared ourselves for operation theater, like changing clothes, shoes, getting washed up etc.
The patient was about to undergo amputation of her leg as it was ulcerated due to uncontrolled blood sugar levels (diabetes mellitus). I was both excited and scared for the Surgery. Soon the operation started and with the support of God Almighty & our motivation, the surgery was done successfully. The patient was then shifted back to to Surgical ward for post-operation care.
From the perspective of a doctor, I was very happy that I performed a surgery with my own hands which went successful. Needs a celebration, doesn't it??
But from other perspective, what could patient and his attendants would have thought of us? A Butcher!!!! Although it was well explained to the patient & her relatives that her only hope of survival is that her leg must be amputated to prevent further infection in the body. Both patient and her relatives agreed for surgery. Yet they were scared of the Surgery. After the surgery, the patient was very reluctant to be admitted back to surgical ward of hospital for post-op care. What would she have been be thinking of, which made her so reluctant and uncooperative? Was she traumatized psychologically?  Was our behavior not good enough with her? Was she scared that there may be some further surgical procedure to be done on her? What other answers she would have been seeking? Would someone want to party now!!!!!!
From my own perspective, I ask myself many questions, among them are; what did we do to her? Have we saved her life or did we actually made it even more worse? Would the patient ever be able to go back to normal daily life or even near to it? Was there any better option for her? Would she be scared whole of her life to go to a doctor for any disease? Will she ever try to become socially active again like before? Will her community accept her? Answer to which medical issues she would seek for her whole life, & will she ever get an answer for them? & many other questions.....  Is that how it feels like, to be a surgeon!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment